Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Call of the Wild

It's that time again, folks! I'm happy you're back for round number three, which looks like it'll be the biggest challenge yet. For those returning readers- Amicus (last year's mustang) found a wonderful home with a spectacular lady whom I see almost on a daily basis. He's fat, happy, and spoiled...what more could a mother want?!

Now, without further ado...I'd like to introduce you to Ledoux (as in the late-and-great Country singer, rodeo star, and all-around cowboy Chris Ledoux). Ledoux is a four y/o gelding the Twin Peaks HMA near the California/Nevada boarder, and has been in captivity since August 5, 2006. If I had to personify Ledoux at this point in time, I would say that he resembles the ridiculously intelligent bad boy who loves a good time but refuses to be anything but top dog...the later sure to be the source of any issues we encounter.

Ledoux has been at the Bar T since Friday, July 16, thanks to our friend and barefoot trimmer Alex, who made the long haul to the holding facility in Piney Woods, MS to pick up our boys. We gave the 'stangs all day Saturday to get their wits about them before starting training on Sunday. I did, however, sit in the round pend/corral area on Saturday just to see what the guys would do. Imagine my surprise when Ledoux, who had never been handled, waltzed right on up to me to take a sniff while I was chilling out in a lawn chair. In my mustang experience, this is very uncharacteristic...and I was excited beyond words :) Sunday, before our lesson began, I was out in the round pen with a manure fork and wheelbarrow...and guess who came out to check things out again?! Ledoux started with sniffing me and the aforementioned glamourous tools of the trade, until he apparently lost interest in just sniffing...he grabbed the fork right out of my hands! Already...what a clown :)

I've worked with him daily since Sunday, and it's gone relatively well. Touching him was never a challenge since he more or less made the first move. My challenge with him has been his acceptance with me as the "Alpha" in our relationship. During our first lesson on Sunday, he charged me once and backed toward me (to kick) multiple times. Ummm, Houston, we have a problem. I will say that he isn't doing this to be malicious at all. If you know horses, you know about herd dynamics...every horse has its place in the herd, and because he isn't accustomed to taking direction from others, he's fighting every step of the way. Since our first lesson Sunday, he has undoubtedly improved, but it will continue to be a battle of wills. Luckily, I'm as stubborn and hard-headed as they come :)

No comments: