Sunday, August 2, 2009

“Progress always involves risk; you can't steal second base and keep your foot on first base.” -Frederick Wilcox


So exactly 13 days from my first session with Amicus, guess what happened? I'm sure you guessed right...we're under saddle!! I seriously cannot put my relief into words. The first ride, Saturday, was relatively uneventful. I put the blanket on him and saddled him up while he
was ground-tied...he's so mellow. After he was all saddled, I lunged him around just a bit to get all the little boogers out of his system. Then it was time to hop on! I stood in the stirrups from both sides several times before actually planting my behind in the saddle and slipping my feet through the stirrups. When it was finally time to do just that, I have to say I wasn't as nervous as I thought I'd be! I know I say it all the time, but I just have so much trust in this horse that I truly believe he'd never harm me. (Let's hope I never have to eat those words ;) ) When I finally did climb up and sit down in the saddle, it was, even though I've gone through that same motion hundreds or thousands of times, like the first time. It was such a rush. I was excited, giddy, anxious, and punchy all at the same time. The mere thought that I was on top of an animal that was previously untouched by human hands...it's something you have to experience to comprehend; I can't even do it justice.

He did such an amazing job. We had two little hiccups; both times he got a little distracted, then just forgot I was on his back. He shut right down right after I regained his attention. Great first ride.







Today (Sunday/Day 14) we had our second ride. This time, we worked more on getting consecutive forward motion. Boy was he a champ! We had quite the crowd, as we usually do on Sunday afternoons, and he took all distractions in stride. I really can't tell you how pleased I am with Amicus.

As far as additional under-saddle progress goes, I think we're going to take it nice and slow. He seems to have a little issue in his shoulder. He's
never completely lame (or three-legged lame as we say in the horse world) but you can definitely tell he gets uncomfortable after hard exercise. I'll keep you posted!







2 comments:

Jimmy Thomas said...

Great blog Dee, you must have picked up your writing style from your dad

Emily Thomas said...

Aww thanks Daddy :)